While it’s pleasing when people contribute their opinions, learn, and educate, we all need to respect the personal integrity of other readers. So here are my guidelines and strictures for posting on this blog.
1. Most important, please try to refrain from insulting your host or other posters, no matter how misguided you think they are.
2. Try not to dominate threads, particularly in a one-on-one argument. I’ve found those are rarely informative, and the participants never reach agreement.
3. I like people to use their real names when possible, as I think this makes them more accountable for their words, but I recognize that there are sometimes good reasons for not doing so.
4. If you have your own website, you may link to it in your posting.
5. Do not cry “censorship” if I don’t post your comment. As a benign libertarian autocrat, I believe in free speech but also reserve the right to remove comments that are uncivil, trollish in nature, or otherwise inappropriate.
6. There is no “right” to have every comment you make published here. I try to use as light a hand as I can consistent with keeping an atmosphere of civility. If you have something to say that I won’t go along with, feel free to start your own blog or site.
7. Finally, thanks to Jerry Coyne whose own ‘Roolz’ I have stolen and abridged from his excellent website ‘Why Evolution is True’.